Yoga for Healthy Backs
Due to COVID-19, we are allowed to offer contact hours for this remote class. The materials will be delivered via a Learning Management System (LMS). Zoom web conferencing calls were earlier but you will have access to those recordings.
In the USA, we spend over $10 billion annually on back care. Back issues are the number one cause of job-related disabilities, and 8 out of 10 of us will have back pain at some point in our lives. Additionally, 14 million people seek health care for shoulder pain. In this workshop, we’ll address the back, shoulders, neck, sacrum and hips.
Because of its prevalence, we believe that every yoga teacher needs to understand back pain. This workshop allows us to feel more confident in our teaching by exploring a common issue that most of us will encounter.
Yoga for Healthy Backs Learning Objectives
- Understand the scope of back pain
- Appreciate the goals of yoga for students with back pain
- Identify common causes of back pain
- Explore different types of pain
- Develop correct techniques for movement and language for effective cuing
- Practice and lead yoga for a healthy back
- Execute yoga movements to combat dysfunctional movement patterns (DMPs) and injuries
- Explore contraindications for specific back issues
- Understand how pelvic tilt impacts back health in flexion, extension and neutral
- Explore lumbar-pelvic and thoraco-lumbar rhythms
- Understand how chronic muscle contraction leads to postural imbalances and DMPs
Continuing Education Credits
Yoga Alliance Approved for 24-contact CEC hours. This is earned by reviewing the materials on our Learning Management System.