Yoga for Inflexible Bodies
Living in an inflexible body? Teaching students who are less flexible? Then we’ve got the workshop for you! This course is designed to provide yoga teachers tools to teach the new yogi or inflexible body with modifications to poses or flows. Yoga students will gain the confidence to walk into almost any yoga class while giving yoga teachers the skills to adjust a class for new or less flexible students.
Mary Irby – C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, CTP, MS
DeAnne Priddis – RYT 200, PhD
Yoga for Inflexible Bodies Learning Objectives
- Discover likely candidates for modifications due to inflexibilities
- Describe the benefits and importance of modifying postures
- Develop an understanding of how inflexibilities may limit poses
- Practice yoga for inflexible bodies
- Evaluate poses to discover the factors that present physical limitations
- Discover bandhas that help students get the most benefit from practice
- Practice specific pranayama techniques that may help us create more flexibility
- Explore pose modifications designed to provide safety and effectiveness for inflexible students
Students should have general knowledge of proper alignment for basic poses that would come from a yoga teacher training or yoga practice. While several alignment cues are covered in this course, the main focus of the course is to show modifications for those living in a less flexible body. Therefore, not every alignment principle will be covered in detail. For those seeking more detailed alignment instruction, we recommend our 200 hour course.
Continuing Education Credits
Yoga for Inflexible Bodies counts as 4 contact hours for Yoga Alliance RYTs through Dec 31, 2020, and 4 non-contact hours after that time
- Course is 100% remote, online study
- Work at your own pace
- Includes videos and written materials
- Short quizzes test your knowledge
Recommended Books for further reading:
- Yoga teachers
- Yoga students
- Yoga therapists
- Anyone who feels inflexible and wants to create more freedom in their body!
- Lecture and demonstration
- Experiential learning through movement
- Tension and Compression
- Pose Modifications
- Pose Demonstrations
- Yoga Practice
This course is 100% remote. Start anytime!