Yoga for Weight Loss
Yoga for Weight Loss provides an outline for a 6-week class plan that will give students struggling with weight or body image issues some life-changing yogic tools. Read More
Available online only.
In Yoga for Weight Loss, you’ll learn to:
- Identify use of the eight limbs of yoga to overcome emotional overeating
- Explain which chakras heavily influence emotional overeating and how we can work with these chakras to change unhealthy patterns
- Demonstrate Loving Kindness Meditations that help students love and accept themselves and others
- Assess tools such as journaling, pranayama, mantras, asanas and meditation as tools for positive change
- Remove the veil of shame and secrecy around our relationship to our body, food, and feelings
- Shift our inner conversations from judgmental to compassionate
- Outline the path to sustaining body acceptance
- Inspire and support students in the process of cultivating and nurturing love for the bodies they’re in right now
- Use specific affirmations to overcome negative patterns
Basic Asana Knowledge
Continuing Education Credits
Our Yoga for Weight Loss online course is Yoga Alliance approved for 6 CECs.
Online Course Requirements
- Read 37-page Yoga for Weight Loss manual (PDF)
- Study eight limbs of yoga document
- Practice 100 affirmations
- Practice yoga class flow provided
- Complete all activities in manual
- Complete open book exam online
We are a virtual school only. No ‘on location’ or live courses are offered.
If you need more than the allotted time to complete your online course, you must purchase a course extension or reinstatement.
Online students receive the materials mentioned in the “Online Course Requirements” section of this webpage. The program materials are designed as a guide to give you all the material you need to teach a 6-week class and includes suggestions on marketing and pricing. Each week, we suggest you teach a 75-minute class, and we outline exactly what you do during each segment. A timeline is provided, so you’ll know about how many minutes to spend on a given task for the workshop. Of course, you are free to vary the times as needed, but it’s nice to have a starting point.
No. The course is not about burning calories, eating less or exercising more. Everyone who struggles with weight loss has probably read hundreds of hours of material on these topics, and, for many of us, these plans don’t work. That’s because most of these plans don’t address the mind/body connection. Our physical, emotional and spiritual selves are intertwined. We can’t ignore the white elephant in the room that is the emotional root of overeating. Our Yoga for Weight Loss plan is about using the eight limbs of yoga and exploring the chakra system to help students find yogic tools to end their struggles with food and body image. It is about creating a support system and using journaling, breath work, meditation and other proven techniques for creating a more peaceful life, which, in turn, creates a happy, well-balanced, positive person who isn’t tangled up in a daily struggle with food.
We certainly don’t want to step outside the boundaries of our yoga training into the world of counseling. However, we can offer yogic tools that may help our students find their own emotional well-being and recovery from emotional overeating, weight-loss struggles and body image issues.
You can take the online course anytime. There is no live class currently scheduled. If you’d like to take the class, please contact us.